Thursday, April 2, 2015

4275 College Avenue

This is the house I lived in from birth to Veterans' Day 1965. As it was a school holiday and dad was a school teacher, he chose that day for the move a few blocks away to the house most friends know as our family home. In my profile picture, you can see me standing on the other side of the front window, posing as Roy Rogers.

The place is up for sale, and my sister and I were able to visit it with a realtor friend a couple of weeks ago. We were all struck by how small the rooms were. It was initially a 2 bedroom 1 bath house with a small garage. Dad converted the garage into a dining room with back utility room in the early 1960s, and added a bedroom when my sister was born. Then the covered porch in the back was enclosed. It made for a crazy floor plan, and subsequent owners have since converted it into a psychotically half-assed duplex, complete with barred windows as the neighborhood became enriched by diversity.

On the other hand, the enormous back yard continues to impress. It faces on a drainage ditch and hillside, which figures into several of my stories about growing up there. For an intro to the world I was brought into, the link to my old neighborhood blog below provides a start.


 
A couple of weeks ago
 
 
 
A couple of weeks before I was born
 
 
 
A favorite shot at the edge of the back yard by the ditch and hillside, circa 1959
 
 
http://www.sandiegoreader.com/weblogs/kstaff/2009/mar/31/doo-wop-era-college-area/#

1 comment: