Thursday, April 2, 2015

Friends

Now that I'm getting the hang of how to use this site, I'll provide a couple of links to stories about two of my best childhood friends. Both stories won modest awards, and were written straight from the heart in a single draft.

Some of my best friends have managed to make colossal messes of their lives. I love them anyway... not that I want to hang out on a regular basis with one in particular.

http://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2010/jun/29/blogs-oddball-friendships-are-forever/ (Tom M.)

http://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2009/oct/30/blogs-rip-van-winkle/ (John B.)
(The editors rather gracelessly changed the title from my original: "Does God Live in Old Men?"


These are not they, but two other childhood friends I've stayed in touch with. They're known in the shorthand idiolect I use with close friends as "Larrys B&K." We're at my mom's memorial service in July 2006:



As the song we learned at Henry Clay Elementary tells us:

Make new friends
But keep the old
One is silver
And the other gold.


Of course, though, you have to keep meeting new people. The ESL field is mostly female, at least domestically. These are folks I've known for a mere 12 to 15 years, including a male alter-ego who did the whole marriage & kids bummer but nonetheless, at heart, has a lot in common with me:







For more on the Magic Triangle and its link to the area around College and University Avenues, here's the story:



 

No comments:

Post a Comment